Travel and tourism courses

Travel and tourism courses Leicestershire

South Leicestershire College student has Nicole Darlinson has recently completed BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Travel & Tourism, (one of the college’s travel and tourism courses) and moved into full-time employment with Thomson Travel as a Travel consultant.

Nicole DarlinsonWhy did you choose the course?

I chose Tourism and Hospitality as I have always had an interest in the travel industry and the course sounded so varied and interesting. The subjects studied gave me a real flavour of the wide range of opportunities available plus it gave me the chance to achieve the equivalent of A levels in more vocational subjects and at a Further Education College rather than school. I also got the support required to retake my GCSE Maths and English alongside it.

Why did you choose to study a course at South Leicestershire College?

I knew after finishing my GSCE’s that A level exams were going to be a struggle for me so I decided to look at more vocational courses that were course work based. I also felt that a further education college would be a more relaxed place to study where I would be treated as an adult. Also, I had heard that the college had a good reputation for teaching Travel and Tourism courses.

The best thing about travel and tourism courses?

The best things about being on the course were the opportunity to meet new people and develop my skills and knowledge. The subjects studied were interesting a relevant and we were taught by tutors who had worked in the Travel and Tourism Industry and had a real passion for the subject.

I got the chance to visit different Tourism organisations and completed a work placement at Thomson Travel which has now led to full-time employment with Thomson.

The best thing about the College?

South Leicestershire College feels really modern with great facilities. The staff are very knowledgeable and push you hard to make sure you achieve the very best grade for you. I found Mark and Jo to be really supportive and motivational.

What’s next?

I had so many options available to me during the course that I could have gone for, with University a real option as well as lots of different parts of the industry such as hospitality, events management or even working overseas.
However, I enjoyed my work placement so much at Thomson Travel that I successfully applied for a job within the company and am now employed full time as a holiday advisor. This has led to some amazing opportunities and I love every minute of it!

How has the College helped you achieve your goals?

Studying my level 3 course at South Leicestershire College helped me to work on areas that I wasn’t so great at, such as presentations and how to interact with customers. I feel that I gained a really good range of skills and knowledge about the industry especially in areas that I hadn’t really considered when I was at schools such as airports, cruise sector and visitor attractions.

What is your ambition?

My short term ambitions are to be successful in my new store, achieve my new sales targets and continue to develop expert knowledge in order to give excellent customer service.

Where do you hope to be in 10 years?

In 10 years’ time, I’d like to have experienced different roles within the same company such as doing a season of cabin crew and doing a season abroad as a holiday rep.

Your top tip for future students?

My top tip to future students is to make sure you are organised and take lots of notes in class. Always attend well and put in time outside the classroom if you want to achieve the highest possible grades.

Travel and tourism South Leicestershire college

This programme is designed to be a year 2 or for people to progress to that have achieved a 90 Credit Diploma in Travel and Tourism. More info here.
On the course you will receive an introduction to the Travel and Tourism industry at a national and international level. The BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Travel and Tourism gives you a great start in your career whether you want to go onto higher qualifications or get a job straight away. More info here.
Our Level 2 Travel and Tourism Qualification is your gateway into one of the most exciting and varied industries in the world. Find out more here.

If you would like to learn more about the Travel and Tourism Courses on offer at South Leicestershire college please call 0116 2643535

Finance

If you are aged 19+ and enrolling on a course please see 19+ Advanced Learning Loans.

Apply Now! Website

Please follow and like us: