Apprenticeship Levy

In August 2016, North Warwickshire & Hinckley College and South Leicestershire College officially merged, allowing us to re-structure our provision and share best practice.

Our offer is responsive to skills demands and LEP priority areas in Coventry & Warwickshire and Leicester & Leicestershire.

We are registered on the official Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (March 2017).

As a training provider, we can:

  • Talk to you on an individual basis about the implications of moving from frameworks to standards
  • Take you through the transition from the current frameworks to the new standards
  • Advise employers when new standards are approved

Apprenticeship Reforms 2017

The Levy is a tax that applies to employers in England. It will come into force in April 2017.

The levy will apply to UK employers in both private and public sectors.

Only those who have an annual pay bill of more than £3 million will have to pay into the levy.

Those who do not have an annual PAYE of more than £3 million will not pay into the levy

If your annual PAYE bill is £3 million or more, you will be charged at a rate of 0.5% of your PAYE bill

The government will apply a monthly 10% top-up to funds that employers have available for Apprenticeship training, so every £1 will be increased to £1.10 in value

All employers will receive a £15,000 fixed annual allowance to offset the levy payment

The levy can be reinvested into the organisation through Apprenticeship training – to new and/or existing staff

For non-levy payers, it is proposed that employers who take on apprentices co-invest 10% of the costs with the government paying the remaining 90%.

For organisations with fewer than 50 employees and employing a 16-18-year-old apprentice, the Government will fund the full cost of apprenticeship training

For employers who do pay the levy but do not have enough funds to cover training and assessment costs, the government will co-invest.

All employers in England have access to a new, easy-to-use Apprenticeship Service Account to help them manage their apprenticeship programme.

Functions for all employers:

  • Employers can calculate whether they will pay the levy or not, and what funds they will have to spend on Apprenticeships. It also shows how much the government will contribute towards the cost of training
  • Finding Apprenticeship training: it will give employers easy-to-digest information on the choices available to them. Employers can search for and find an appropriate standard or framework, a quality-assured training provider, and compare one provider with another
  • Vacancy posting will be opened up at a later date

From April 2017, the current Apprenticeship frameworks will be replaced with new standards.

  • Frameworks are currently being switched off in phases
  • The new standards are being designed by employer groups/ trailblazers
  • Rather than continuous assessment, they will require an end-point assessment

Regardless of whether you pay into the levy or not, all employers will be eligible to receive a £1000 payment when they employ an Apprentice who is:

  • Aged 16-18 at the start of their Apprenticeship
  • Aged 19-24 and has an education, health and care plan provided by the local authority or has been in the care of a local authority

Employers will be able to access Apprenticeship delivery from a training provider on the Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (RoATP)

What is an end point assessment centre?
The end point assessment centre is who will assess your Apprentice at the end of their programme. This centre will be different to the Apprenticeship training provider.

You will be able to search for a training provider and end point assessment centre via the Apprenticeship Service Account.

LEVY PAYER FAQS

Non Levy Payer FAQs

APPRENTICESHIP STORIES